Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage

International Student & Scholar Office | Lehman College
International Student Services at Lehman College


MISSION: ISSO is dedicated to providing services, programs and activities that facilitate U.S immigration compliance and cross-cultural learning experiences to students and scholars in meeting their academic, personal growth and professional goals.

COVID-19 FAQs - VIDEO  - Emergency Fund Application - Deadline May 22nd -


Do I need an I-20 Form to transfer my F-1 status from my current US college to Lehman College?

Yes, you must complete the Lehman College I-20 application form.

This will be my the first time entering the US for the purpose of studying. Do I need an I-20 Form to apply for the F-1 visa?

Yes, you must complete the Lehman College I-20 application form.

When can I apply for the F-1 visa?

You can apply for the F-1 visa on-line after receiving your Lehman College I-20. However, because the US Consulate visa sections are closed due to the pandemic, check with the US Consulate to see if it is open.

What can I do if the Consulate doesn't reopen in time for me to obtain the visa to enter US for the Fall 2020 semester?

You can defer your admissions for the next semester. We will issue you a new I-20. We will also update you if we recieve additional options.


Can I go home and take online classes during the pandemic and keep my full-time status?

Yes, you can go home and continue taking online classes. However, we don’t know when you will be able to come back since there is a travel restriction.

I am thinking to travel and my visa expired, can I renew it?

No, at this time you cannot apply for a visa renewal at any US Embassy because all visa application processes are suspended until further notice.

How do I receive travel authorization to re-enter the US if I don’t need to renew my visa?

If your travel signature is expired, we will send an electronic I-20 with a new signature.

I lost my CPT internship employment during the Pandemic. Should I report it to you?

Yes, if you stop working please report it to us. Check with your academic advisor to see if this will affect your degree progress.

I am on OPT and I am not able to work during the Pandemic. What should I do?

If your job is temporarily suspended, please email us for further advice.

I am on OPT and I don’t have a job and cannot find a job. Does my 90 days unemployment still apply?

Yes, for now your 90 days unemployment is still counting. So far we don’t have any differrent information.

My I-20 will expire soon. Can I extend it?

Yes, please contact us for the required documents and we will extend it.

I am graduating in May and want to apply for OPT. What should I do?

You can still apply for OPT. Please email us the required documents for the OPT application by the end of April.

At the end of the semester if I decide to take "no credit" for the class I failed, would it affect my status?

No, it would not affect your status as long as you registered for full-time credits.

Can I drop classes?

Please do not drop any classes before talking to us. We will guide you on this matter.

Can I get a stimulus check if I filed as a US resident for tax purposes?

You may be eligible for the stimulus check if you filed tax as a US resident for tax purposes only: F-1 students who filed tax on their 5th year, are considered as US residents.

Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

If you are on OPT, lost your job and filed tax last year, you can apply to see if you are eligible.

Am I eligible for economic hardship employment?

Check with us to determine your eligibility. Emergency Grant - Robin Hood Foundation -  Applicattion Deadline:  May 22, 2020

Lehman College Support:

Emergency Fund Application - Deadline May 22nd -

OAS International Student Emergency Fund

Lehman Emergency Funds

Lehman College Support:

Spring - Summer - Fall Academic Event Calendar

Start Here!


Apply for admission to one of the following academic programs:
Undergraduate | Graduate | English as a Second Language (ESL)

Apply for your:
Form I-20 & F-1 Student Visa

Know more about:
F-1 Immigration Regulations
(Change of address, transfer, change of status, reinstatement & travel outside the U.S.)

Learn about:
F-1 Work Authorization & Regulations
(On campus employment, curricular practical training (CPT), optional practical training (OPT), economic hardship)

Students degree & non-degree, short-term scholars, research scholars & professors

Apply for your:
Form DS-2019 & J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Know more about:
J-1 Immigration Regulations

(Change of address, health insurance requirements & travel outside the U.S.)

Learn about:
J-1 Work Authorization (Academic Training) & Regulations
(Academic training is for the J-1 students degree and non-degree categories only

Learn about the ISSO:
Office Information & Work Schedule (location, phone, email, mailing address and office work schedule)
Additional F-1 and J-1 Resources:
Essential Links (study in the states, transportation, Lehman campus life, about the Bronx, housing & health insurance
For F-1 Students / Form I-20 & F-1 Visa

Please follow the 5 Steps below to obtain a Form I-20, F-1 Student Visa & Status. If you have any questions regarding any of the steps below please contact our office for clarification.

Step 1 Apply for your form I-20Step 2 Apply for your F-1 visaStep 3 Enter the United StatesStep 4 Report to school after U.S. EntryStep 5 Maintain your F-1 status

F-1 Immigration Regulations

If you are already in the United States check this section to learn more about F-1 immigration regulations. If you have any questions regarding any of the F-1 immigration regulations below please contact our office for clarification.

Address Change regulationsSchool Transfer regulationsChange of Status regulationsReinstatement regulationsTravel in the US and outside the US regulations

F-1 Employment & Regulations

Students in F-1 status may qualify for employment under certain conditions. This section provides basic information about employment and regulations. If you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for F-1 employment, please contact our office.

On Campus Employment regulationsCurricular Practical Training regulationsOptional Practical Training regulationsEconomic Hardship regulations

Essential Links