- Applying to Graduate Programs
- Standardized and Other Tests
- Students Educated Outside of the United States
- Immunization Requirements
- Application Deadlines
We offer an extensive array of master ’s programs—more than 40—in arts and sciences, health fields, and teacher education.
- Advanced Certificate and Extension Applications for those applying for a short program of study in a particular subject. Most require the completion of a Master's Degree prior to applying. Financial Aid is not available.
- Graduate Degree Seeking Application for those applying to begin a master's degree program*
- Graduate Application for Non-Degree Admission for those not applying to a master's degree program*
Students who do not intend to be matriculated or complete a teacher preparation program must apply as a non-degree student to only take education courses in order to seek New York State certification through one of the following pathways:
Additional Classroom Teaching Certification
- Graduate Application for Readmission for those on a leave of absence of 1 year to 3 years (3+ years must reapply)*
- Change of Graduate Curriculum (PDF) for currently enrolled students requesting a change in certification, subject area, and/or graduate degree program*
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university; have demonstrated the potential to successfully pursue graduate study, that is, have attained a minimum undergraduate grade point average of B (3.0), depending on the program. The Nursing program requires a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing from an ACN/CCNE-accredited college or university, in addition to a New York State Registered Nursing License and Registration.
The application and supporting documents must be complete before it is reviewed by an advisor for admission.
*Support documents can not be added to the online application, nor can a decision be rendered, until the application is submitted. Submit the application as early as possible and ensure the support documents are received by 5:00 p.m., on the stated deadlines, to the Graduate Admissions Office*
Q: What is the best way for me to send you my transcript(s)?
A: Official transcript(s) should be e-mailed ELECTRONICALLY via a digital credential company (i.e. Parchment, E transcript(s), National Clearinghouse, Escripts) to email@example.com from the institution. Alternatively, you may scan and e-mail the unofficial/student copy of the transcript(s). The official transcript(s) will be required in order to maintain enrollment. Please remember, we need transcript(s) from all of the schools you attended after high school.
Q: How can I pay the application fee if the Office is closed?
A: Application fees should not be mailed to the Bursar’s Office until offices reopen. Additional information will be provided as circumstances change. The application fee will be added to your tuition bill.
Please Note: All documents submitted in support of the application for admission belong to Lehman College and will not be returned.
- Application fee (non-refundable): $75.00 will be added to CUNYfirst for you to pay online
- The application fee is waived if you are currently attending as a graduate non-degree student and applying for degree-seeking status in consecutive semesters.. Print application fee voucher and include with your payment.
- Veterans and current military service personnel are exempt from the application fee. Veterans submit their DD-214. Current military service personnel submit their military identification card.
- Transcript(s): In order to obtain a complete educational history, official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions (colleges and universities) attended are required. Transcripts from colleges where you earned your Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree must show proof of degree and date conferred.
All transcripts should be e-mailed ELECTRONICALLY via a digital credential company (i.e. Parchment, E transcript(s), National Clearinghouse, Escripts) to firstname.lastname@example.org from the institution. Otherwise, unofficial transcripts must be submitted through the Graduate Admissions our secure portal at https://lehmanshare.lehman.edu/filedrop/graduate.
All applications and supporting documents received by Lehman College become the property of Lehman College and cannot be photocopied, returned or sent elsewhere.
- If you are in your final undergraduate semester, submit the official transcript of course work completed to date. Upon graduation, a final transcript showing the degree awarded and conferral date must be presented.
- If the applicant is a Lehman College alumni, the Lehman College transcript does not need to be submitted if in attendance from 1993 to present. The Office of Graduate Admissions will retrieve the transcript.
- Applicants that attended Lehman College prior to this date must request a transcript from the Registrar's Office via the link here
- Additionally, transcripts from colleges attended prior to Lehman College must be submitted.
The CUNY Board of Trustee policy regarding submission of fraudulent documents in support of an application for admission can be found here
All transcripts from foreign institutions must be evaluated in order to be considered for admission. This includes transcripts from institutions where a degree was not earned. The evaluation request must include:
- 1. A course-by-course evaluation with grade point average (GPA)
- 2. The equivalent of a United States Bachelor's degree
- 3. A notarized English translation for documents in languages other than English
- a. See the CUNY Document Translation Guidelines.
- 4. A copy of the official transcript in the original language submitted to the evaluation service
The evaluation and translation should be completed 8-10 weeks prior to the deadline.
We will accept foreign credit evaluations from the agencies on the preferred list below or you may opt to use any evaluation service who are current members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
|Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.||Y||Y||Y|
|Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.||N||Y||Y|
|Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants||Y||Y||Y|
|SpanTran: The Evaluation Company||Y||Y||Y|
|World Education Services||Y||Y||Y|
Please note: We do not currently accept evaluations from Globe Evaluation Services or Globe Language Services.
Students in their final undergraduate semester should submit the official transcript of coursework completed to date. Upon graduation, students must present additional transcript showing the degree awarded and conferral date.
- TOEFL/IELTS: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be required if an applicant fits one or both descriptions below. The TOEFL/IELTS scores should not be more than 2 years old.
- Academic Records from Non-English Speaking Countries: Applicants that submit academic records from a non-English speaking country, demonstrate competency in English through TOEFL IBT score of at least 61 or the Academic IELTS score of at least 6 (higher for some programs).
- International Students: At Lehman, an "international student" is defined as any person studying in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. The Test of English as a Foreign Language is required for admission of international students, except for nationals of English-speaking countries. The required minimum TOEFL Paper Based score is 500 and the TOEFL Internet Based score is for admission to Lehman and is higher in most fields. Information may be obtained from TOEFL/ Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151. Residents of English-speaking countries are exempt from taking the test.
- Essay: Type a career objective essay of 500 words describing your intellectual and academic interests, accomplishments, and goals. If there is anything anomalous in your undergraduate record, please explain. Students applying to the Special Education program must submit an additional scholarly paper. The Counselor Education/School Counseling program requires five additional essays found in the Supplemental Program Requirements and Instructions Form. Applicants to the Social Work Advanced Standing Program (Track C) are required to submit a response to an additional essay question found in the Social Work Instructions Supplemental Form.
Please Note: Students applying to the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program should also include, as part of the essay, information about the academic subjects you would like to pursue as the focus of your concentration for the MALS degree.
- Two or Three Recommendations (depending on your program of interest): Ask individuals, preferably instructors or supervisors who can attest to your past scholastic performance and capacity for graduate work, to complete the on-line Recommendation Form. Reference letters submitted on your behalf must be written on official letterhead and signed in order to be accepted. They must be sent to the graduate admissions office electronically through the application system.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is required if you do not have a Master's degree for the following programs:
- Nursing (The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not being considered at this time)
- Speech Language Pathology
- School of Education Programs (GRE not required for Counselor Education)
The Lehman College Institutional Code is 2312. For information go to GRE;
- ACTFL OPI (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language Oral Proficiency Interview) is required for Spanish Teaching. For more information, go to the LTI website.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required by students educated in non-English speaking areas. The TOEFL should not be more than 2 years old. The Lehman College Institutional Code is 2312. For information and registration materials contact TOEFL. Required scores vary by program (minimum being 500 for the Paper-Based Test and 61 for the Internet-Based Test). The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic will be accepted, if available. Required scores vary by program (minimum being a 6).
Accepted applicants who plan to enroll must comply with New York State Public Health Law regarding immunization. Students born on or after January 1, 1957 are required to complete the immunization forms and return them as soon as possible to the Student Health Center. Complete information regarding these requirements and all necessary forms can be found on the The Student Health Center website.
Lehman College does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, or veteran’s status.
“The college reserves the right to deny admission to any student if in its judgment, the presence of that student on campus poses an undue risk to the safety or security of the college or the college community. That judgment will be based on an individualized determination taking into account any information the college has about a student’s criminal record and the particular circumstances of the college, including the presence of a child care center, a public school or public school students on the campus.”
Applications must be signed and dated in order to be valid.Please Note: Additional information may be needed upon review of your admissions application
- Updated transcripts with last semester grades and proof of graduation must be submitted in a sealed envelope
- Proof of immigrant or naturalized citizenship status must be shown in the Graduate Admissions Office (i.e. Green Card, Certificate of Naturalization, I-94 Card, Passport, etc.)
- To be eligible for New York State resident tuition rates, you must prove that you have been a New York State resident for a minimum of 12 months, and that you are either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or that you possess an eligible non-immigrant status. The information requested will be used to determine if you qualify for the New York State resident tuition rate.
- If you have supporting documents with a name different from the name on your current application, proof of the name change must be documented at the time of admission.
Copies of official documents are not accepted
View the deadlines below. The application and all supporting documents must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the stated deadline. Please do the following in a timely manner so that required information is submitted on or before the deadline. Only complete applications will be reviewed for admission.
- Request official transcripts from all of the post-secondary schools attended,
- Request recommendations,
- Upload essays and resume,
- Application fees should not be mailed to the Bursar’s Office until offices reopen. Additional information will be provided as circumstances change. The application fee will be added to your tuition bill.
*The fee is waived if you are currently attending as a graduate non-degree student.
*Veterans and current military service personnel are also exempt from the application fee. Veterans submit their DD-214. Current military service personnel submit their military identification card.
- Bring in Professional Licensure, Certifications, and any additional program requirements,
- Sit for exams.
|Schools||Fall||Spring||Arts and Humanities|
||Continuing and Professional Studies|
GRE required for all programs (Except for Counselor Education)
|Art Education, Art Teacher, (Pre-K - Grade 12)||
|Childhood Ed.||April 15||
|Childhood Ed. Bilingual Ext.||April 15||No Enrollment|
|Counselor Ed/School Counseling and Bilingual Counselor Education/School Counseling||March 15||No Enrollment|
|Early Childhood Ed.||April 15||No Enrollment|
|Early Childhood Ed. Bilingual Ext.||April 15||No Enrollment|
|Educational Leadership School Building Leader||
|Educational Leadership District Level||
|English Education (Grades 7 - 12)||
|Gifted and Talented Ext. Online Program||April 15||October 15|
|Human Rights Education and Transformative Justice Adv. Cert.||
|Literacy Studies (Birth - Grade 6 & Grades 5 - 12)||
|Math Education (Grades 7 - 12)||
|Science Education (Grades 7 - 12)||
|Social Studies Education (Grades 7 - 12)||
|Special Education Programs||April 15||October 15|
||Health Sciences, Human Services, and Nursing|
|Health Education and Promotion M.A. (Online Program)||
|Health Education Adv. Cert.||
|Health Education M.S.Ed||
|Human Performance and Fitness M.S.||
|Doctorate of Nursing||
|Social Work||February 15||No Enrollment|
|Speech Language Pathology||
||Natural and Social Sciences|
|Geographic Information Science (G.I.S.C.)||
|Pure Math M.A.||April 15||October 15|
|College of New Rochelle Programs||April 15||October 15|
|Concordia College Program||April 15||October 15|
|Mercy College Programs||April 15||October 15|
Financial Aid, including loans, is not available for Advanced Certificates.